Our TRACTION TOP “structural spray wearing course” is designed to rejuvenate our ACTION TRACK 100, 200 and 300 track surfaces. Industry standards have proven that base mat/structural spray type polyurethane surfaces have an average service life of 6-8 years before repair and resurfacing should be considered. A quality repair and resurfacing with TRACTION TOP will preserve valuable performance characteristics and extend the life of your facility.
Environmentally friendly TRACTION TOP water based structural spray is now a popular option.
Resilient: Retains resiliency over wide range of temperatures
Fast and Safe: Greater energy return for speed – consistent shock absorption qualities for safe, injury free training
Durable: Water drains through surface eliminating slick spots. The system “breathes” to allow moisture to escape. Tailored and textured to provide friction in all conditions. Added protection against harmful effects of ultra violet light
Colored: Black and Red standard – Blue, Green and other special colors upcharge
Eco Friendly: Traction Top “water based” structural spray is optional at additional cost
Renewable: Extends the average service life of a facility multiple times
The intent of this specification is to provide a guideline for the improvement of a previously prepared sound polyurethane running track. Traction Top is a structural spray wearing course (spray layer system) consisting of Polyurethane Bound EPDM Rubber Particles and Liquid Polyurethane Structural Spray, which is specifically designed to rejuvenate existing Action Track 100, 200 and 300 track surfaces.
The work covered by this specification consists of furnishing all labor, equipment, materials and performance of all operations in connection with the installation of surface on track and field events. This includes all operations in connection with the necessary base mat repairs and the installation of the structural spray layers to the surface of the track proper and field events.
- Polyurethane Primer
- SBR and/or EPDM Rubber Granulate, 1 to 3mm blended with Clear Polyurethane Binder for base mat repair purposes
- Polyurethane Caulk
- EPDM Pigmented Spray Layer Rubber Granulated, .5 to 1.5mm
- Pigmented Polyurethane Spray layer binder
- Polyurethane Line Marking Paint
4. Surface Preparation:
- Remove all mildew, soil and any other surface debris (Power washing may be required)
- Repair all splits, cracks and surface separations with liquid binder and rubber particles or compatible polyurethane caulk.
- Removal and replace all damaged and/or delaminated areas of the existing resilient base mat.
Polyurethane Primer may be required in cases where extreme surface oxidation or contamination is present. Polyurethane Primer is applied at a minimum rate of .3 lbs per square yard.
The entire area will receive two structural spray layers consisting of 60% Pigmented Polyurethane Structural Spray Binder and 40% EPDM Pigmented Rubber Spray Layer Granulate. Each spray layer shall be applied at a rate not less than 1.8 lbs per square yard, for a total spray layer coverage of not less than 3.6 lbs per square yard for the two spray layers. (Note: Action Track 300 will require a total of 3.0 lbs per square yard)
6. Minimum Physical Properties Of The Surface:
- Abrasion Resistance (ASTM D501): 0.25 TO 0.425 grams loss after 1000 cycles
- Chalking (ASTM D822): No charge after 1000 hours in weatherometer or 45 days exposure to elements
- Coefficient of Friction (ASTM D1 894): Dry- 0.70 to 0.75 • Wet- 0.80 to 0.95
- Resilience (ASTM D2632): 37 TO 44%
- Tear Resistance (ASTM D624): 50 TO 75 PSI
7. Line Markings:
The measurements and markings of the lines and events shall be performed according to the recommendations of Copeland Coating Company, Inc. and/or in accordance with the appropriate governing body (ie. NFHSA, NCAA, IAAF). The line marking paints used shall be compatible with the polyurethane surface as recommended by Copeland Coating Company, Inc.
Black and red standard. Blue, Green and other special colors, upcharge.