Action-Track 300 (Beynon BSS 200)
A spray-applied top layer of EPDM granules and single component Polyurethane creates an all-weather surface, free of granule migration.
A two-component Polyurethane seal coat is applied for an impermeable surface.
The bottom layer combines Polyurethane binder and SBR granules to achieve optimal comfort and shock absorption.
Copeland Coating Company Inc. is a licensed installer of the Beynon BSS 200 (An equal to the Action-Track 300)
Our ACTION-TRACK 300 system is installed in three (3) phases starting with a mechanically paved base mat consisting of a unique blend of single component polyurethane binder and black SBR rubber granules. The porous base mat is then rendered non-porous with a squeegee applied two component, pigmented polyurethane sealer. In the final phase color, texture and additional protection are added by introducing a combination of pigmented polyurethane binder and colored EPDM rubber granules which are “structurally sprayed” onto the surface of the sealed base mat to create the finished surface.
Increased longevity and enhanced performance are characteristic of our ACTION-TRACK 300 system making it popular at University, High School and Municipal levels.
Resilient: Retains resiliency over wide range of temperatures
Fast and Safe: Greater energy return for speed – consistent shock absorption qualities for safe, injury free training. Tailored and textured to provide friction in all conditions. Added protection against harmful effects of ultra violet light
Durable: Water drains off surface eliminating slick spots. Additional polyurethane content adds strength and increases longevity. Impervious design prevents water from penetrating surface.
Colored: Black, Red and Green are standard – Blue and other special colors upcharge
Renewable: Can be repaired and/or resurfaced utilizing our TRACTION TOP surfacing system. Site assessments, budget quotes and resurfacing specifications available upon request.
ACTION-TRACK® 300 Resilient Urethane Track Surface
The intent of this specification is to provide a guideline for the improvement of a previously sound bituminous concrete sub-base. Action-Track 300 is a university grade running track surface consisting of a urethane bound black SBR base mat, which is rendered non-porous by the application of a pigmented polyurethane seal coat. A structurally sprayed surface course is then applied consisting of two pigmented, polyurethane layers, encapsulating EPDM ultraviolet resistant rubber granules. This system is a non-porous all weather surface. It is textured, extremely durable, resilient and self-healing.
The work covered by this specification consists of furnishing all labor, equipment materials, and performance of all operations in connection with the installation of the surface on track and field events.
- Polyurethane Primer
- SBR Rubber Base Mat Granulate, 1mm to 3mm or 1mm to 4mm rubber containing no dust.
- Clear, 100% polyurethane base mat binding agent
- EPDM pigmented spray layer rubber granulate, .5-1.5mm.
- Pigmented Polyurethane Structural Spray binder.
- Note: BLUE and other special colors requires the use of an “ALIPHATIC” polyurethane binder must be used to prevent discoloring due to ultra violet exposure.
- Polyurethane line marking paint.
4. Surface Preparation:
- After a suitable soil sterilant, a recommended bottom course shall consist of 4″ to 8″ of compacted crushed stone, gravel, or suitable aggregate over a firm, stable frost free sub-grade which has been brought to proper contour and elevation in strict accordance with drawings and/or specifications, and compacted to 95% density.
- A binder leveling course of an open-textured bituminous concrete (maximum stone size of 3/4″) is laid upon the prepared bottom course to a compacted thickness of 2.5″.
- The wearing (top) bituminous concrete course consists of 3/8″ maximum aggregate to a thickness of 1.5″ compacted.
5. Planarity and Slope:
Before application of the surface course the receiving surface should be checked for proper planarity and slope. All corrective work shall be performed to provide a safe, functional and well draining surface. For cross slope and inclination tolerances please refer to the appropriate governing body (NFSHA, NCAA, IAAF)
BASE MAT – SEAL COAT – STRUCTURAL SPRAY
- Following inspection of asphalt base and required curing time, the entire area to be surfaced shall be thoroughly cleaned, removing any foreign and loose material.
- Polyurethane Primer will then be applied to the entire surface uniformly at a rate of not less than 3 lbs. per square yard. Allowing a minimum of 30 minutes curing time before the application of the base mat material.
- The base mat will consist of an 18 to 23% range Polyurethane Base Mat Binding Agent and 77 to 82% range SBR Rubber Base Mat Granulate as described above. This mixture is prepared in a mechanical mixer which is clean and dry. The base mat is applied with a mechanically operated screed machine which has an electrically heated screed. All joint work shall be flush with the adjacent mat. Joints which have cured will have their edges primed with Polyurethane Primer.
- A squeegee applied layer of 2-component, pigmented, polyurethane seal coat shall be applied at a rate of no less than 2.75 lbs. per square yard. This coating shall completely seal the base mat and render it non-porous.
- After proper curing the entire surface will receive two structural spray layers consisting of 60% Pigmented Polyurethane Structural Spray Binder and 40% EPDM Pigmented Rubber Spray Layer Granulate. Each spray layer will be applied uniformly at a rate of not less than 1.5 lbs. per square yard, for a total spray layer coverage of not less than 3.0 lbs. per square yard for the two spray layers.
7. Minimum Physical Properties of the Surface:
- Thickness: 13mm or as specified by architect or engineer
- Hardness: (ASTM D42240): Shore A @ 50
- Elongation: (ASTM D412): 110%
- Tensile Strength: (ASTM D412): 95 PSI
- Abrasion Resistance: (ASTM D501): 0.25 to 0.425 grams loss after 1000 cycles
- Chalking: (ASTM D822): No charge after 1000 hours in weatherometer
- Coeffient of Friction: (ASTM D1894): Dry-0.70 to 0.75 Wet-0.60 to 0.65
- Resilience: (ASTM D2632): 37 to 44%
- Tear Resistance: (ASTM D624): 50 to 75 PSI
8. Line Marking:
The measurement and marking of the lines and events will be performed according to the recommendations Copeland Coating Co., Inc. and/or in accordance with the appropriate governing body (ie. NFHSA, NCAA, IAAF). The line marking paints used shall be compatible with the polyurethane surface as recommended by Copeland Coating Co., Inc.
9. Colors Available:
Black and Red are standard. Blue, Green and other special colors upcharge.
Rondout Valley CSD
Action-Track 300 red (black mat, red sealer layer, red spray applied surface course encapsulated) – installed 2000
Queensbury High School
Action-Track 300 red (black mat, red sealer layer, red spray applied surface course encapsulated) – installed 2003