Children’s Safety Surfaces
Copeland Coating Company, Inc. has developed new and innovative solutions for the emerging playground surfacing market.
All material and installation methods are in strict accordance with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and The American Standard Testing Material (ASTM) requirements.
Copeland Coating Company, Inc. has been in the sports surfacing industry since 1945. We have been installing poured in place polyurethane surfaces since 1981 and have hundreds of installations throughout the Northeastern United States.
Years of experience in the poured in place polyurethane business has enabled us to develop Action-Play™ playground safety surfacing; a unique poured in place system with no seams and consistent shock absorbency
Thickness can vary from 1.5″ to 5.0″ and be applied in one or two lifts (to meet equipment fall heights of up to 12′) and be customized to your specific color choices
Action-Play™ delivers unlimited design potential, safety and durability to any play environment.
- Available for every base: Asphalt, Concrete, Sand & Stone
- Personal preference allows for endless color combinations
- Tailored for specific equipment heights
- Entirely porous play surface for optimal drainage and safety
- Virtually maintenance free and vandal resistant
- A system for every budget
Action-Play™ playground safety surfacing provides dependable, permanent protection for all play areas. This unique poured in place system will cushion falls for years to come. Unlike sand, gravel or wood chips, Action-Play™ won’t blow away, turn into projectiles, or become matted at slide exits, under swing, ropes & ladders.
When Children’s Safety Comes First . . . Action-Play™ is the Right Choice!
The intent of this specification is to provide a guideline tbf the installation of a poured in place polyurethane playground safety surfacing system.
The work covered by this specification consists of furnishing all labor, equipment, materials and performance of all operations in connection with the instdllation of ACTlON-PLAY to the specified surface areas.
- ACTION-PLAY 100% polyurethane binder base mat binding agent.
- ACTION-PLAY shredded rubber for base (Cushion shock pad) (black).
- ACTION-PLAY polyurethane pigmented (top course) rubber granulate 1.0 mm to 3.0 mm or 1.0 mm to 4.0 mm. (Black or colored)
- ACTION-PLAY Polyurethane line marking paint.
4. Surface Preparation:
After sub-base installation of asphalt, concrete, stone or sand has been properly compacted, (asphalt cured I5 days and concrete cured 25 days) and all sub-base surfaces brought to proper contour and elevation in strict accordance with drawings and/or specifications, surface is ready for ACTION-PLAY poured in place system.
5. Planary and Slope:
Before application of the base (cushion shock pad), the asphalt, concrete, stone or sand sub-base shall be tested for planarity using a 10′ straight edge. All leveling work should be performed so that the finished surface slope is a minimum of I % to allow for proper drainage. If indoors, surface can be flat.
6. Procedure / Installation ACTION-PLAY surface
(A). Base (cushion shock pad): Mix the black buffings with polyurethane binder in a non-porous container at the prescribed rubber to binder ratios, which will assure complete binder coverage of each rubber particle. Screed and trowel mixture on sub-base to a uniform thickness, compacting material to assure adhesion and proper bonding. After prescribed thickness is achieved, allow base (cushion shock pad) to cure. Depending on humidity (1 2-24 hours).
(B). Top (wearing course layer): Mix the colored (per specifications) EDPM 1 mm to 3mm or 1mm to 4 rubber particles with the liquid binder in a non -porous container at the prescribed rubber to binder ratio which will assure complete binder coverage of each rubber particle. Screed and trowel mixture on base (cushion shock pad) to a uniform thickness compacting material to assure adhesion and proper bonding. After prescribed thickness is achieved and proper planarity has been assured, allow top (wearing course layer) to cure ( I 2-24 hours).
(C). Erect barricades / fencing as required to prevent pedestrian traffic on finished surface for a period of 12-24 hours.
7. Striping / Play Markings:
- Utilizing ACTION-PLAY polyurethane paints. apply all play markings per specifications, allowing paint 4-8 hours to cure.
8. Minimum Physical Properties at Surface:
- ASTM F 1292-95 and F-355-95, Proceedure C.
9. ACTION-PLAY Specifications
- Polyurethane Binder to Rubber Ratio for Base (Cushlon Shock Pad) … 14- 16%
- Polyurethane Binder to Rubber Ratio for Top (Wearing course layer)…20 – 22%
- Base (cushion shock pad) thickness (Pad thickness to be determined by playground…1.5″ – 5″.
- Top (Wearing course layer) thickness…(EDPM colored granules)…3/8″ – ½”.
- Polyurethane Binder – MDI (No TDI) … 100% solids